How it Works
This overnight running relay explores the beautiful and challenging terrain of the Smoky Mountains in North Carolina.
Runners are members of a 12-person team. That team is split into two vans each carrying six runners. Each runner will run three legs of the relay over approximately 30 hours, and each runner will run on average 18 miles.
The vans hopscotch each other through the night with one van of runners sleeping, and the other van of runners continuing the race. Runners continue through the night, with the inactive van driving ahead to a major exchange to rest and refuel.
- 12 person or 6 person ultra teams
- 36 transition areas
- Each relay team member runs 3 legs (12-person team) or 6 legs (6-person team)
- Legs are of varying lengths and difficulty
- Relay runners cover an average total distance of 18-20 miles (12-person teams)
- Relay begins at Pink Beds Park in Brevard, NC and finishes at the Nantahala Outdoor Center in Bryson City, NC.
- Approx 214 mile relay course (view course map)
- April 22-23, 2016